What do you need to do before moving in?


Before signing the lease, the landlord or their representative (property management company, notary, etc.) can ask you and any guarantor for various documents:

  • valid proof of identity (two if the guarantor is a legal person);
  • proof of residence;
  • one or more documents attesting to professional activities (employment contract, student card and certificate, etc.);
  • one or more documents attesting to resources (tax notice, last three payslips, etc.).
  • Some documents cannot be requested, such as bank statements, bank details (RIB), an extract of your criminal record, and personal medical files.


The guarantor is a personable liable in the event the student leasing the accommodation does not pay the rent. They allow the landlord to be sure payment will be made in all events.

The security deposit ensures the tenant will respect the property and avoid causing damage. 

These two elements are almost always required when moving into a property.

If you are having trouble with guarantors or security deposits, help is available.


An inventory needs to be completed in your presence to go over the condition of the property. At the end of the contract, it will be compared with the move-out inventory.

Pay careful attention to any damage or wear in the property, and remember to re-read the inventory before signing it. You must be given your own copy. After moving into the property, you have 10 days to report any changes to the inventory by registered, signed-for post.

If the inventory is completed by an appointed professional, you will be billed for part of their fee.
Signing the lease agreement (bail)
The landlord and you will sign a lease agreement known as a "bail" (lease conditions, rent amount, size of the property, length of the lease, etc.).

At the same time as you sign the contact, you will need to pay the various charges for the property, such as the security deposit, agency fees where applicable, and the first month's rent.